OVERTIME PROCEDURES RULES AND PROCEDURES TO BE FOLLOWED FOR VARSITY LEVEL ONLY FIELD HOCKEY GAMES THAT ARE TIED AFTER REGULATION DURING THE REGULAR SEASON
- Prior to the overtime there shall be a 5 minute intermission.
- The home Team captain calls the coin toss and the winner chooses choice of goal or possession of the ball.
- Teams will be limited to 6 field players and a goalkeeper.
- If a player/coach was disqualified (red card) during the regulation game, that Team must play short throughout the overtime. If a player/coach was suspended with a green/yellow card during regulation game, the Team shall play short until the suspension time is completed.
- Only four defenders will be allowed behind the end line on a penalty corner.
- The overtime will be 15 minutes “sudden victory” [SV].
- There will be no Team time-outs, even if a Team has unused time outs.
- There will be unlimited substitution.
- A player who received a red card in regulation play may not participate in RP overtime.
- If a player receives a red card in overtime, the player is disqualified and the Team will play short throughout the RP overtime.
- If a player receives a green or yellow card in overtime, the Team will play short until the 2/5 or 10 minute suspension time is completed.
- If a coach receives a yellow card in the overtime, the Team will play short until the 5 minute suspension time is completed.
- If a coach receives a red card during overtime, the coach is disqualified and removed from the field. The Team will play short throughout the RP overtime.
- Regular season games tied after the 15 minute RP stand as tied.
Any PIAA field hockey championship game interrupted due to events beyond the control of the site game manager, such as inclement weather, shall be continued from the point of suspension at a later time during the day of competition or the next day unless it is declared an official game because one (1) complete half or more of the game has been played and one (1) team has scored the greater number of goals. The time of suspension and the location of the ball should be noted in the scorebook.
If the game is suspended at the completion of the 1st half and cannot be continued and one team is ahead in the score, that team is declared the winner.
- If the game is suspended at the completion of the 1st half and the score is tied, the game will be restarted with play beginning with the 2nd half.
- If play is suspended in the 2nd half and play is unable to be restarted and one team is ahead in the score, that team is declared the winner.
- If play is suspended in the 2nd half and the score is tied, the game will be started from the exact point where it was suspended.
- If the game is suspended during the first half, the game will be replayed from the point of suspension.
The point of suspension should be noted in the scorebook as well as the placement of the game ball and team possession.